Lessons from Trees


There are lightening tornados, wild fires, earthquakes, a global viral pandemic, and wars on people’s rights happening right now- in an election year for the United States. 

It has been six months since I have intentionally written a blog post. My world is falling into place and I have wondered if I have been buried or planted,  some days it is difficult to tell.  The one thing I know is that MAJOR shifts are happening in my experience of living. 

In March Covid-19 ushered in fear-mongering across the media platforms and in people’s lives. However, I discovered that critical thinking skills and a solid understanding of herbalism/ Naturopathy/ nutrition combined to create resilience. This is ‘ancient’ wisdom, rooted knowledge, of the bountiful gifts present to us if we stop to learn about them. 

I have had many transformative experiences in the last six months, but today I am reflecting on steadfastness and weathering the storm as I reflect on the Redwoood forest of California being in the midst of a major wildfire this past week.  These trees are at least a thousand years old, some believed to be over two thousand years old. These trees have lived in the purest of air and been choked by pollution, yet they stand. They continue to photosynthesize, sprout new branches and repair their roots.  Yes some have fallen, some have broken, and some are deeply scorched, but there is enough life in their core and within their connection to earth that they will yet thrive. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/2-000-year-old-redwoods-survive-wildfire-california-s-oldest-n1237949

I am considering the storms of my life, the perceived threats to my life as I know it, and the transformative nature of fire. According to the Chines Zodiac I am a Fire Dragon. According to astrology my sun sign is the earthen Virgo. According to the enneagram  I am a 9-4-5 (Contemplative/ Instinctual / Intimately Social). According to my DISC profile I am a D- a leader.  I have long thought I needed to have backup plans for my backup plans and 10K different ways to reach and approach people, maybe I do. However, I am realizing that I simply need to stand firm in myself and let those who need me, and are ready for me, come to me. 

As I acquire years to my life I realize my strength comes from the pieces of me that have always been me. The most fundamental asset to thriving is the ability to root down deeply in nutrient filled soil while simultaneously reaching up to connect with the celestial, as well as reaching out to provide a haven for others. It does NOT even REMOTELY matter what storms are raging about, the storm does not determine my course, my inner strength and sense of self are the keys to my sextant. 

It is time to figuratively burn the forest of my life. The pieces that are left after the fire are supposed to be here, the rest is fodder for the future.  Are you feeling this call too? Are you interested in walking this path along side me and building our own grove of trees? Message me or comment here and I’ll connect. Let’s figure out how to consciously rebuild your life and ensure you thrive for as long as humanly possible. 

Comments

Popular Posts